NY Neurology Associates
Neurologists & Pain Medicine located in Upper East Side, New York, NY & Upper West Side, New York, NY
Spinal pain can occur anywhere along the spine. Some common symptoms of back pain may include a dull, burning, or sharp pain in your back.
There are two main types of back pain. Acute back pain can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Most people can usually carry out normal functions with this type of discomfort.
On the other hand, chronic back pain will usually last 12 weeks or more and may or may not have an identifiable medical cause.
At NY Neurology Associates, we are dedicated to providing the best treatment for our patients. By taking ample time to understand and diagnose the cause of your discomfort, our skilled doctors can create an effective treatment plan to help relieve your pain.
Schedule an appointment today for pain management at one of our offices in New York. We look forward to helping you achieve the most pain-free lifestyle possible!
Spine Pain Q & A
What Are the Causes of Spine Pain?
The causes of spine pain are usually a result of some components within the back not working as they should. There could be a problem with the spine itself, the muscles surrounding the spine, the intervertebral discs, or the nerves.
Some common causes of spine pain may include the following:
- Injuries: The cervical and lumbar spine are most likely to suffer from injuries. Injuries can include muscle strains, ligament sprains, or muscle tension or spasms. Traumatic injuries can result in the compression of the spine, or a ruptured or herniated disc.
- Congenital conditions: Some conditions can develop during the development of the spine. These can include scoliosis, lordosis, kyphosis, or spina bifida.
- Degenerative problems: As you get older, the discs, joints, and bones of the spine can wear out and tear. This may include compression fractures. Osteoarthritis is also a common degenerative condition that can cause pain and inflammation.
- Nerve and spinal cord problems: There are several different conditions that can result in the spinal cord being pinched. These conditions could include spinal nerve compression, spinal stenosis, or spondylolisthesis. Sciatica is another nerve problem involving the sciatic nerve. This nerve, which runs down the buttocks and legs, can also become pinched and cause pain.
Symptoms of Back Pain
You may feel back pain in a specific area or generally throughout most of your back. The pain may also radiate to other areas of your body, such as your legs, buttocks, or abdomen.
Back pain can vary in intensity, from dull to shooting pain. You may experience the following symptoms when dealing with your back pain:
- Increased pain when lifting or bending
- Worsening pain when resting, sitting, or standing
- Back pain that comes and goes
- Stiffness in your back, primarily upon waking up, that lessens with activity
- Pain that radiates to other parts of your body
Treatment for Back Pain
The treatment for your back pain will depend on whether you have acute or chronic back pain. Acute low back pain treatments are designed to reduce inflammation and provide temporary pain relief. Acute back pain can usually be treated with the aid of the following methods:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Hot or cold packs
- Muscle relaxants
- Gentle stretching exercises
Chronic low back pain relief may require additional steps, depending on the condition and severity of the problem. Some chronic back pain treatments may include the following:
- Hot or cold compression
- Physical therapy
- Facet joint block injections
In addition to treating your back pain, there are also some things you can do to prevent it from occurring again in the future. The following list contains some suggestions that can help you avoid experiencing back pain on a regular basis.
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Maintain correct posture
- Strengthen your back muscles
- Exercise regularly
Who Can Relieve Your Spinal Back Pain?
A trained neurologist who specializes in stabilizing the function of the nerves can help relieve your spinal back pain. It's best to visit a skilled doctor for a proper diagnosis as soon as possible to prevent any permanent damage from occurring.
Don't let back pain reduce the quality of your life. Our team of specialists at NY Neurology Associates is dedicated to providing you with the best quality care possible. We do this by utilizing the latest treatments and techniques available. Our doctors will work with you to create an effective treatment plan to help relieve your chronic pain.
Schedule an appointment at one of our offices in New York today! We can't wait to help you find the best way to relieve your pain!
Accepted Health Insurance Plans
See our list of the insurances we accept. If you don't see yours, please call our office.
Words from our patients
"I really enjoy theses guys, they are great. I'm glad i found them when i did. There treatment has helped me a lot."
"Amazing experience this practice. No one was able to treat my migraines until I went to see Dr. Starkman. Highly recommend!"
" I would recommend this practice for anyone who needs pain management."
"Dr. Jadoo is very professional and friendly. I have a very serious neurological disease and she is very knowledgeable and honest about treatment options."
"Very Good Doctor! Dr. Jadoo was very nice, very professional and very helpful with my problem. I felt very comfortable with her and she explains things really well."
"Dr. Jadoo was very knowledgeable about my disease and was able to provide answers to all my questions. I would recommend her to anyone with a neuromuscular disorder."
"Excellent. Dr.Mohen restored my confidence in personalized patient-centered treatment.she was courteous, friendly and she is very in sync with current options.."
" Dr. Mohen has been thorough and inviting. She regularly keeps in contact with checking on my progress. Most importantly she has given me hope."
"Dr. Mohen took the time to listen to me and asked lots of questions so as to determine the proper diagnosis and treatment. She was welcoming, friendly & knowledgeable.."
"Dr. Saremsky did a great job of listening to our concerns, and interacted with our son in a pleasant and caring way."
"I felt so well listened to by Dr. Saremsky. He was kind, compassionate, and very good at explaining ASD. I would recommend him without reservations."
"I love Dr. Saremsky. I have two sons that see him and he is patient and thorough. I have sent many other families to see him and always receive a thank you."